Preheat oven to 220c
- Sift together 3 cups flour with 5 tsps of baking powder
- Put into large bowl and add 2 dessert spoons of sugar (optional)
- Grate in about 50 grams of cold butter. (this is easier than rubbing in butter)
- Mix with enough milk to make a soft dough. Probably about a cup. You want the dough to be soft but not too sticky. Careful not to over mix or they will be too tough.
- Put onto a floured board, shape into a rectangle, cut into squares and put onto oven tray.
Cook in hot oven until cooked – about 10 or 12 minutes.
To make date scones – soak a cup of dried dates in boiling water for a few minutes. Roll out dough, place dates on half then fold over and pat down. Continue as above.
Cheese scones – omit sugar and butter but add a cup or more of grated cheese and a sprinkle of paprika to taste
This is an extremely delicious Cake that I try not to make too often as it is easy to eat a lot. The Chicory Essence is quite addictive.
- Heat oven to 200c
- 4 eggs – can use duck eggs.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup of cornflour
- ¼ cup of plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Chicory Coffee Essence
- Beat eggs and sugar until very thick and fluffy.
- Add about a tablespoon of chicory essence near the end of the beating and combine well.
- Sift dry ingredients and carefully fold into egg mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour mixture into sponge tins and bake for around 12 mins.
After 12 mins open the oven door and gently press on the top of your sponge – it should bounce back if it is cooked. Tip out of tins onto a cake rack to cool. When cool put together with coffee cream and ice with coffee icing.
Soften 100 grams of butter and beat to a cream with a couple of teaspoons for coffee essence. Add about a cup of sifted icing sugar and beat well. You are looking for a mock cream consistency. Alternatively use a mock cream recipe and add the essence.
- Sift 2 cups of icing sugar
- Melt 25 grams butter in a saucepan
- Add icing sugar, a couple of teaspoons of coffee essence to taste
- Tiny bit of boiling water out of the kettle to mix nicely.
- Ice cake.